Shameless Plug

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Shameless Plug

Post by memly »

Ok, so I'm ready to put together some tracks I've been working on over the past year or so.
I've just uploaded "In my World" onto Soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/memly/in-my-world

Please give it a listen and let me know what you think, I've used a fairly obvious song as my inspiration, I think a lot of you will suss it :roll:

This isnt the final mix, I just added a limiter to the master to bring the levels up to acceptable.

...and no, it didnt take me a whole year to do this!
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
legspin
Open Mind

Re: Shameless Plug

Post by legspin »

Go ana mhaith a bhucaill.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Iced

Post by Iced »

VERY solid, sir. Not sure on what song inspired you (I may just be daft), but it felt very much like an Orbital tune!

Two thoughts come to mind:

The intro drags quite a bit. Not sure what it needs exactly but it's just too much of the same thing for too long.

Right at the 4 minute mark, my ears perked up. It felt like the song was about to take on a new form (much like some of Orbital's tracks like Beelzebeat, Are We Here?, Out There Somewhere?, etc), and I got really pumped for it, but then you didn't go for it! I think it'd be really cool if you expanded on that bit right to the end of the song.

Overall though, great work! Might I asked what you used to make it? I dabbled in Reason for a while and formed a basic enough knowledge of it, but I never really stuck with it. I've always wanted to get back into it though, so let me know if you have any tips!

Keep us posted on your work, too!
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

legspin wrote:Go ana mhaith a bhucaill.
...Thanks Leggy. Havent a clue what you mean, but it sounds offensive! :D

Thanks Iced, yeah the intro is a bit too long I agree, I'm gonna cut a couple of bars from it, I'll check out the 4 minute mark and see if I can picture what you're saying.

I moved over from Reason to Ableton Live about 2 years ago, I still use reason, but I have found myself buying and using lots of lush virtual gear for Live.
I loved reason, I felt right at home with it straight away. Considering the only thing I had ever used "sequencer" related before that was Music 2000 on the Playstation, I found it quite logical.
The best thing to do is just watch a few youtube clips about your favourite DAW or VST etc and you can usually find hundreds; I watched one the other day (it was for NI FM8) and the guy doing the tutorial was your stereotypical stoned black dude from somewhere in the US, he was hilarious, he kept forgetting what he was talking about and I was more preoccupied with his presentational skills than what he was trying to teach. I find a lot of them very inspirational and get me quite fired up to do something and see it through.

The majority of that tune is a Depeche Mode song cut up like crazy and a couple of squelchy synths with quite a bit of processing.
MEMS MUZAK
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Hi peeps, I've added 2 more tunes, "Broken Defibrillator" and "Dischordance", if you get the chance, I'd be grateful for any comments.
Thanks

Linky
MEMS MUZAK
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

come on legster, memly doesn't even know where to find a badger, never mind do to it what you suggested...

memly - I'll check out your stuff when I can give it a proper listen. If it's anything like as good as your first CD it will be most excellent.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

davemacfrombath wrote:
come on legster, memly doesn't even know where to find a badger, never mind do to it what you suggested...

memly - I'll check out your stuff when I can give it a proper listen. If it's anything like as good as your first CD it will be most excellent.

Don't worry Dave, 'twas nowt bad I was saying. All Badgers are safe

Mem,
I really enjoyed Broken Defibulator. Dischordance was good but not as. I actually really liked the two demos and if 'twere up to me I'd leave well enough alone.

That difficult second album seem to be progressing at last then....
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Well my album is finished after over a years worth of faffing.

Its called "Tonal Theft" and you can download it here if you would like to listen to it...

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

*shameless plug over*
MEMS MUZAK
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

More shameless whoring.

Just completed an EP. Purely aimed for the dancefloor.

Its available to listen and download HERE

Track listing:
1. Accelerator
2. Room 5
3. AK47
4. The Deadbeat
5. Grand Design
6. Frequency Test

Total 38 minutes. Please let me know your thoughts...
MEMS MUZAK
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

I'm loving this Sir. I'm going to facebook this if you don't mind.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Thanks Leggy!
Yeah of course I dont mind if you facebook this. I have :D
MEMS MUZAK
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Hi guys,
I have been working on a 20 minute EP for a while now and I have finally uploaded it to Soundcloud.

Its called "Rapid Movement EP" and I would greatly appreciate any comments etc. Its melodic electronica with a dark and sinister edge.

*laughs like Vincent Price*

Its available to download (or stream) HERE
MEMS MUZAK