Dr Who & Orbital!!

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

thehitcher
Novice

Re: Dr Who & Orbital!!

Post by thehitcher »

Just watched the bbc coverage on the website, and i was blown away with it!!! loved the variations, the mixing between the tracks and the stage was 1st class. It winds me up that this weekend bbc showed a lot of stuff like shakira, florence and her washing machine, vampire weekend, ellie goulding and so on. And unless you had get the 2nd bbc video, we got one track from the closing set on the other stage. There were plenty other artists which didnt get shown as well for example (more black keys), delphic, mos def, parliament funkadelic to name a few. also edith bowman does my head in! however they did show all of the faithless and groove armada gigs.
JIMBO
Saint
Question: Orbital

Post by JIMBO »

Just got back from the G fest and can confirm that the show was pretty good. First few songs were unfortunately rather predictable, but the new breakbeat/dubstep Satan kicked off a second half that was nothing short of astounding. Despite my whinging elsewhere on this forum, 'Don't Stop Me' was a live highlight - though it does sound quite different to the recorded version and the 'Shut Up' sample still grates somewhat. The new version of Halcyon with the Opus 3 samples is stunning. And Doctor? with THE Doctor? ACE.

They did draw a suprisingly small crowd initially, though this trebled by the midpoint of the set.
Avalanche72
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Avalanche72 »

After all these years I finally mamaged to see Orbital live and it was everything I had hoped for - best Glastonbury ever :)

Would love to get hold of a video rip but can't see you email address.
It's all a matter of opinion
www.red-lines.co.uk
MASSIVE ATTACK, BRISTOL, ENGLAND
impact

Post by impact »

I was at this gig too and it was very special. I noticed someone testing a spotlight at the front of the stage while the Orbital test card stuff was being done on the screens. Thought it was a bit unusual but didn't expect the Doctor to appear. The crowd went completely bonkers.

The entire set rocked and even though I saw Orbital a fair few times last year, was more than happy with the same starter, it just gets better and better. On the Other Stage too, it just sounded awesome. The new tracks fitted nicely into the set and went down really well. They're very different to the studio versions. Nice timed lasers during The Gun is Good. Changes to Satan and Halcyon are inspired. On a sartorial level, was good to see Paul dress up all smart for the occasion!

All in all, a superb gig and the perfect way to end Glastonbury.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

impact wrote: On a sartorial level, was good to see Paul dress up all smart for the occasion!
Did Phil have his pits out again then?

I thought Paul should have worn that rediculous hat he was photographed wearing in the early to mid-90s. :roll

Not gonna say anything about Phil... :shock:
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

Interesting to see how different it felt for some folks. At first it didn't seem to have the atmosphere that I've associated with a Glastonbury audience at Orbital gigs. This is probably for a number of things though - Sunday night crowd exhaustion (Orbital are really a Saturday night act IMO), the band having to take to the stage in daylight, the freezing temperature after a hot, hot day and the strange but palpable feeling that something Very Good was happening elsewhere. It really didn't help that most of the festival had decamped to the Pyramid for Stevie. The crowd was woefully small at the beginning - they normally fill the Other Stage to capacity.

As a result I found the opening tracks workmanlike rather than truly sparkling. Much as it pains me to say it, I'd have left for a bit of the Wonder had things continued in the same vein, but that fabulous rendition of Satan changed my mind entirely. Proper darkness for the lights and screens, a much more adventurous second half and increased cider consumption on my part and I was hooked. And that brilliant moment when some enterprising people chucked literally hundreds of glowsticks into the crowd : )

Not up there with '94 or '95 (or even 2002) but it'll do for now!
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

Yeah, the crowd was definitely a bit small and subdued at the start but it really picked up as the set went on. I was hoping we would get a bit more of a new set but I still really enjoyed myself - the Brown stuff was more acidy than last time I heard them play it, which is always good, and the upgraded Satan was brilliant. Loved the ending. It was the best version of Halcyon I've heard in ages too - felt like a really good version of the proper tune, followed by a separate track with the Opus 3 vocals.

The new tunes came across well too. I'd not heard Gun Is Good before so really enjoyed that - the timing of the lasers was fantastic! I've not seen such a good crowd reaction to lasers for years. The crowd really came to life during the set - don't know if anyone else saw the two raving puppets dance through... they were awesome! And I think it was the Bang Face crew who threw out tons of glowsticks at one point - plus there were loads of flares and lanterns going off. Great vibe in the end - the surprise finale was a nice touch too. :)

I've got to watch the final episode now... might wait for my brain to start working a bit better first though. :?
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

Did Matt Smith really have a working knob though, or was he given a dud? It looked like he was doing more than Phil either way.
thehitcher
Novice

Post by thehitcher »

Avalanche72 wrote:After all these years I finally mamaged to see Orbital live and it was everything I had hoped for - best Glastonbury ever :)

Would love to get hold of a video rip but can't see you email address.
its at the top of the screen-on the right hand side- i havent heard back yet, however it was only last night i emailed.
~I wonder if mr loopz could get the hartnolls to ask bbc to show all the gig....?
JonD

Post by JonD »

Funky Dung wrote:The new tunes came across well too. I'd not heard Gun Is Good before so really enjoyed that - the timing of the lasers was fantastic! I've not seen such a good crowd reaction to lasers for years. The crowd really came to life during the set - don't know if anyone else saw the two raving puppets dance through... they were awesome! And I think it was the Bang Face crew who threw out tons of glowsticks at one point - plus there were loads of flares and lanterns going off. Great vibe in the end - the surprise finale was a nice touch too. :)
Really loved the gun is good. The place completely went off when the lasers opened up. Not using them until the end of the set worked really well, came as a mad surprise when they did kick off. Agree about the halcyon and satan reworks as well, all good. Top gig all in all!
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

I saw the puppets Funky! They were 4 or 5 rows back from me. I was soooo pleased to see that the field had filled up a lot when I came out - it's a horrible feeling when your favourites are being snubbed! And yes the lasers were ace. They need more of this kind of thing - proper suprises in the live show.

One thing - they wrapped up Orbital and the Other Stage at only 11.30 - I'm used to the headliners making it to around midnight. I think even Stevie went longer than 11.30 and he started earlier. In the Glade the Levellers drew a very big crowd for such a small area and played on way past 12...

I've been wondering about the dud/not dud knob twiddling. It'd be nice to think that they actually did give him something to do - worst case scenario you fade him out of the mix...
Acid Gaz
Sinner

Post by Acid Gaz »

We were just in front of the mixing desk surrounded by hardcore Orbital fans (most seemed to know the two new tracks) and the atmosphere was great.

The Gun is Good was a definite highlight & it's been mentioned before about the lasers - a proper Glasto moment! The glowsticks incident was definitely choreographed, since they came from different parts of the crowd at the same time - I think the Bang Face Crew theory is correct, they probably lit the flares as well. Great stuff.

Many many highlights - Satan, TGIG, Don't Stop Me, Chime/Crime, Halcyon, Dr ?, I might as well list the whole set...

They were fantastic, and at the end they said they were going to play Glasto every year (although I don't think Eavis knows this yet!).
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

All I've got to say is that it's the best Orbital gig I've been to since the 90's. It was a bit odd seeing Orbital in the dusk at the start of the set.... But i enjoyed it from start to finish. The 2 new tracks were spectacularly enjoyable and the new mixes of the usual set were the business.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and the weekend finished on a massive high.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

what was the track list??
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

Kyblik wrote:what was the track list??
As I remember it...

Lush
Impact
Remind
Satan
Don't Stop Me
Chime
Crime
Halcyon
The Gun Is Good
The Box
Doctor?
Last edited by Funky Dung on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.