Hybrid - Disappear Here

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

donkey rhubarb
Question: Orbital

Hybrid - Disappear Here

Post by donkey rhubarb »

Heard the whole album from beginning to end for the first time yesterday.

Just wondering what people on here thought of it??
'time is like a freeway with an infinite number of lanes'

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/room3
hippy dave
Meltdown

Re: Hybrid - Disappear Here

Post by hippy dave »

yeah liking it a lot - a few instant winners, and i'm expecting much of the rest to grow on me with further listening.
dance your cares away, worries for another day
donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

Given this a few listens now and have to say Im really impressed with it. Bit of a cliche but it really is an album that benefits from beining listened to from beginning to end.

I was a bit concerned at first from the transition to a more song based format and the addition of Charlotte James to a full member of the group rather than previous albums where the vocalists they have never quite had as significant an imput but shes really added a 'musical' dimension to their sound and I think theyre all the better for it. Theyve really done something a bit special here I think. I'm loving the fact that new songs and sounds are coming to the fore with each listen. Always a good sign.

Surprisingly for me, and the things that got me into Hybrid in the beginning, its often the slower songs on this album I like the most. Green Shell Suit is really beautiful and unlike anything they've done before and Every Word is almost like listening to Bent. As everything Hybrid hadve ever done though, the production is unmistakeably them. There''s also their more traditional sound elsewhere on the album with songs Like 'Break my Soul' which has just grown and grown on me since the first time I listened to it.

If I was to be ultra critical at this point, I'm still not convinced by te male vocalist. Can you Here Me has grown and grown on me and I really love the original way the song is structred, kind of two tunes segued together, but I think with a slightly less agressive male vocal and a little less repetition of the track title this could be the stand out track for me. I think the vocal works a bit better with Take a Fall but still think there's scope for improvement here.
All in all though a great piece of work and one I think I'll be listening to for some time. A great album that adds a new perspective to their already impressive back catalogue.

One of my fave albums of 2010 so far alongside Pantha Du Pirnce's Black Noise but then there's a few I keep meaning to give a listen to, notably the Ae and Bonobo albums which seem to be very much appreciated on here but I haven't got round to yet.
'time is like a freeway with an infinite number of lanes'

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/room3
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

you've got to get the new bonobo 8)
nice review btw.
dance your cares away, worries for another day
Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

new Hybrid are cool, but not as good as I Choose Noise or older album. more repetitive, but still nice listening.
Iced

Post by Iced »

Loving the album. I swear I've listened to the song "Disappear Here" about a hundred times by now. The only song I tend to skip is "Take a Foe" (you'll know what I mean from the misspelling if you've heard the track). I initially didn't care for "Can You Hear Me", strictly because of the male vocals which sounded a little too much like someone channeling Keith Flint, but that song has managed to grow on me significantly.

I definitely love the new approach to the band, and I really hope they somehow make a tour stop to Toronto, Ontario for me!
Amphetamine407
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Amphetamine407 »

I like this album, but no as much as previous. I think it's because I don't like Charlotte's voice...:] However, "Disappear Here" is a good job.;)
Ile jeszcze wyrzec się musze pragnień,
Aby wypełnić to jedno ? W oceanie
dźwięku rozlać się bezwładnie...