Favourite song from the current set,and why.

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

leitmotif
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: orbital

Favourite song from the current set,and why.

Post by leitmotif »

Sorry, if this has been done to death. I try to keep up but every now and then.

Assuming you haven't all talked this one into the ground........I think this is about as good as I've seen Orbital. Apologies, I've been lurking around for years - there must be many others. I try and be diligant but I cannot remember a thread that was about a single live track at the moment that surpasses all others. For me, remind is just visceral genius. The box segue into Dr doesn't really do it for me -its short-changing two sets of fans. Like the gay-disco version of Halcyon, but it was never a big song for me. Definitely remind. It makes that bit at the base of my spine click as soon as it the bass kicks in.
shadyboy
Oolaa
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: Favourite song from the current set,and why.

Post by shadyboy »

Crime for me mate!
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
leitmotif

Post by leitmotif »

Great tune. I'd never given it much consideration before this tour. But every time I listen to it again I love it more. If orbitalists (not sure thats a proper word) and the internet had met 15 years ago Crime would have been the 1st viral hit, i reckon.
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

Lol - Mutations EP was the first Orbital CD I bought....still love it.
Just love the vocal effects on Crime & Farenheit 3D3.....bang ahead of their time.
leitmotif

Post by leitmotif »

Its funny. Even listening to Orbital now. I think they are still way ahead of the game. Listening to their shows on 6music here was fun but I kept on listening for that killer tune by other bands that said "this is where Orbital nicked it all from". I've tried for years but I cannot honestly pin-point the smoking gun. For example, where does "Philosophy by numbers" come from, probably my fav track after Remind. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love n this board for that track. But to me, its the stand out track on that album. Forerunner of dwr budr . Twisted, melancholy but urgent. Listen to it again.
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

I think they were always influenced by what was "in" at the time, but as they said on last weeks show it was never a "let's jump on the current scene" thing.
Green was Detroit & acid house, Brown was Megadog & Techno, Snivilisation was more a homage to 70's system music (Kraftwerk, Tomita, Jarre)......

It's refreshing now to hear the old stuff and compare it to some of the bands that were around at the time - a lot of it still holds up and sounds "present".
leitmotif

Post by leitmotif »

You are right.

Christ, I'm listening tro Wagner right now and its erasing my sensibilities.
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

crime and remind for me too because i never know where there going but always love the journey!
if your looking for smoking guns i think you can smell one when listening to the severed heads- since the accident.and a guy called gerald- voodoo ray, but hay what do i know!
try listening to ralph vaughan williams-variation on a theme by thomas talis
or thomas talis - 40 part motet if you want spine tingeling...
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

Electric Conterpoint by Steve Reich always gets the goosepimples up.....
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

The whole first half of the set was fantastic by the end of the tour - I particularly loved the re-tweakings of Lush and Remind, and hearing Chime/Crime done in a fresh way made me thoroughly enjoy a tune I'd got a little tired of. More random back catalogue re-fucked next time round please!
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."
leitmotif

Post by leitmotif »

I had to go back this morning and read my posts from last night, hoping I hadn't made a total twat of myself. Too much wine + cabin fever = idiot. Putting my mea cuplas aside.......wonder whether Orbital will do some indoor shows in the UK this year as well as the festivals ? I really hope so. Never seen them at a festival. Not sure what I would make of it.
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

I wouldn't worry about it Leitmotif (if that IS your real name) - I've made a twat of myself many a time on here. usually under the influence....

Not sure abiut my favourite live track but I really REALLY like TGWTSIHH live. Really.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

davemacfrombath wrote:Not sure abiut my favourite live track but I really REALLY like TGWTSIHH live. Really.
There are plenty of lovely tunes that Orbital have done live over the years in a perfectly acceptable way, but that one never really grabbed me. I guess I'm disappointed if I hear an act play a tune too much like the album live. There's not a lot of point, as I see it. Similarly, if a band has a unique way of playing a tune live there's only so long they can keep doing it before that gets a bit boring too. A band should give their whole set a reworking every time they go on tour, I say. Keep it exciting for first-timers who want to hear things they recognise, but also freshen those same tunes up so everyone has more of a 'live' experience.

On the topic of Orbital, judging by the way they played on last year's tour, Ableton's opened up a load more 'live' opportunities for them so I'm looking forward to seeing what they get up to this year. :)
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

user name wrote:if your looking for smoking guns i think you can smell one when listening to the severed heads- since the accident.and a guy called gerald- voodoo ray, but hay what do i know!
try listening to ralph vaughan williams-variation on a theme by thomas talis
or thomas talis - 40 part motet if you want spine tingeling...
This one from 1981 has a few whiffs of Orbital about it.

B.E.F. - Groove Thang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svymwi6-ZlY