Bridgewater Hall Review

General Discussion for PaulHartnoll.com

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

lobe1

Bridgewater Hall Review

Post by lobe1 »

Paul Hartnoll - Bridgewater Hall 5th September 2007

For anyone that did not manage to attend last night...

So Paul Hartnoll decided to take his new album out 'live' with an enjoyable but strange gig at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester.

After managing to stay awake during DJ Steve White's (I think that was his name) hour long set, me and my wife (plus all the other 30 something males there with their wives) waited with bated breath.

What transpired was a very unusual gig with highs and lows but overall was reasonably enjoyable. First things first, the amount of people there was disappointing (the venue was barely half full) whether this was down to poor publicity or orbital fans being put off by Paul's new direction I'm not sure, and the venue itself seemed rather lacking in any atmosphere.

As for the band, this was made up of aroud 8 people (including two ladies with bright pink hair) who chopped and changed between various instruments (violin, flute, clarinet etc). Paul stood behind a couple of keyboards and strayed from behind for a couple of tracks playing a guitar (yes that's right). To say he looked like a rabbit stuck in headlights was an understatement (Paul Hartnoll plays MMT8's not guitars) and he only looked comfortable on a couple of tracks.

As for the music itself, the instrumentals ie Dust Motes, Haven't we met before etc were pretty good and were pretty close to the album versions, however to suddenly hear the ghost of Robert Smith singing on Please (he wasn't there) and female singer (either Lianne Hall or Akayzia Parker) trying to add backing vocals on top was poor. The same happened on the Jospeh Arthur track.

However their were brilliant bits ie the 'live' version of the Box (the drummer I have to say was exceptional as were the other performers) playing most parts live. You could visibly see people itching to stand up and dance however this would have been totaly out of place in the venue. Also the encore of 'Belfast' was very good.

Overall the feel of the gig alternated between a group of people who looked like an uncomfortable mish-mash to a very tight unit playing some beautiful music.

Final conclusions - I hope Paul and Phil have now got this out of their systems and realise that they should be playing to thousands of people at festivals and world tours again and should reform.
As with most band's that split up, the individual components are not usually as good as the sum of their parts as is the current situation.

There should be some second-hand MMT8's, 909's, 303's on ebay etc so go out and get them and get back to what you do best - sublime ELECTRONIC music.
usernick
Detached
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: Bridgewater Hall Review

Post by usernick »

lobe1 wrote: After managing to stay awake during DJ Steve White's (I think that was his name) hour long set, me and my wife (plus all the other 30 something males there with their wives) waited with bated breath.
LOL, that won't win you any friends on here... :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

you cant win them all.... lmao.
chime
Saint

Post by chime »

Steve White, The PRICE is right - come on down! - lol

:-)
tezleyflahflah
Saint

Post by tezleyflahflah »

Without doubt the highlight of the night was Steve White's set :lol: :lol: :lol:
lobe1

Post by lobe1 »

Guys were you at the same gig, I could have heard a pin drop during Steve White's set the sound was that low. When I went to the loo and came back I had to check he was still on as there was no sound coming into the corridor. I found the whole thing kind of surreal, especially as when you normallly go to a gig, the warm up DJ is there to get the crowd going.
I don't think Steve had much chance of that bearing in mind 1. The Venue (its a concert hall and everyone was very well behaved) 2. Nobody came into the room until 8.55. (I sat there for the entire set with about 20 other people)
I am not having a go at Steve, if the sound was loud, the place was full etc it would have been good, however I don't think the circumstances favoured him.
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

yeah i have to agree, the sound guys had his volume too low and it was way too quiet. Also the set had to be appropiate to the nature of the gig...
Last edited by Loopz on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kagey
Geography group B

Post by Kagey »

does anyone know where steve white is playing next ?

my beard needs further stroking
http://www.clockworkdisco.com

"Let's face it, "digital sound" is a misnomer...

Unless you plug the wires directly into your skull, at the end of the chain is a set of speakers pumping back-and-forth turning ANY signal into analogue waves..."
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Kagey wrote:does anyone know where steve white is playing next ?

my beard needs further stroking
Now now Kelv, this is a family website.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Loopz wrote:yeah i have to agree, the sound guys had his volume too low and it was way too quiet. Also the set had to be appropiate to the nature of the gig...
And how would you know that? Have you asked Mr White? :P :lol:
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

lol. no i wasnt listening out front as i was doing sumit else at the time but some of the people there mentioned that it was too quiet :p
lobe1

Post by lobe1 »

I heard the next Steve White gig is at Manchester Library.

Only joking
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

lobe1 wrote:I heard the next Steve White gig is at Manchester Library.

Only joking
Are you sure it wasn't Jimmy White, the snooker player? :P :lol:
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

Ah.... What a great thread. I've laughed out loud several times.

Is there any chance someone has a recording of this very quite set to share? :lol:
OUT
OF
STEP
lobe1

Post by lobe1 »

if I am being totally honest nobody actually told me when his next gig is, they did it in sign language so as not to drown out Steve's set.

And Jimmy White is actually playing a gig at the crucible next year. He's going to remove his toupe and do an Orbital tribute act.