I was at the Roundhouse on Tues - here's my review!

General Discussion for PaulHartnoll.com

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

oli_freke
Question: Orbital

I was at the Roundhouse on Tues - here's my review!

Post by oli_freke »

My bro surprised me with a last minute ticket to the gig & I happily accepted. As a longtime Orbital fan, PH's album had somehow inexplicably passed me by, so this was a good opportunity to rectify the situation...

Here's what I thought:
Ideal Condition Live Review

Were you there? Do you agree?!! Interested to hear your thoughts on it too.

Cheers,
Oli
_ _ _ _ _ _/_/_ _ /_ __/_ '/
( (/_) _) (- / / (- (- ((- ( // //(

myspace.com/cassetteelectrik
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

I'd go along with the general tone of the review and probably the marks out of ten too. I'm surprised you didn't mention the live version of The Box though.

My summary in a nutshell would be technically very accomplished with an impressive collection of musicians and instruments that was good but didn't quite hit the mark.

As you say, most people there were probably Orbital fans who want more of the same. I think Paul is being extremely brave in taking this new musical direction and I wish him all the best - I guess the big risk is that he'll lose many Orbital heads and they will need replacing with new fans if he wants to carry on.

Ironically, considering that Paul is the 'musician' of the pair, I think Long Range have a better chance of success than Paul.

We'll see.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
Shrineboy
Saint

Post by Shrineboy »

Fair review.

I also shouted for High Rise.
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

how many times do we have to that Shrineboy before they will finally back in! :)
legspin
Open Mind
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by legspin »

davemacfrombath wrote:As you say, most people there were probably Orbital fans who want more of the same. I think Paul is being extremely brave in taking this new musical direction and I wish him all the best - I guess the big risk is that he'll lose many Orbital heads and they will need replacing with new fans if he wants to carry on.

Ironically, considering that Paul is the 'musician' of the pair, I think Long Range have a better chance of success than Paul.

We'll see.
On both these points I would have to agree to certain extent. To the average Orbital fan (if there is such a thing) Longrange would probably be more what they would be looking for. Paul, in trying to break away from what was the norm, would be in danger of alienating these fans. That is not to say that Phil is not doing what he does well but it is more of the same to a degree.

However, I feel Paul may end up being the more successful but just not as visible as Phil in the long run, as what he is trying to do will find him being dragged more and more to film and soundtrack work.

On another point altogether though. Paul has shown that Orbtial material can be done on a live footing with live musicians. Some time in the future I can see an Orbital reunion tour being like this and if it does happen I will be in the front row.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
oli_freke

Post by oli_freke »

davemacfrombath wrote:I'm surprised you didn't mention the live version of The Box though.
Oh yeah - good point, I completely forgot about that! The zither playing was pretty awesome actually.
_ _ _ _ _ _/_/_ _ /_ __/_ '/
( (/_) _) (- / / (- (- ((- ( // //(

myspace.com/cassetteelectrik
TheEmbryo
Novice

Post by TheEmbryo »

I thought it was fab - I'm liking the album even more now after hearing it live.

The live show seemed to start a bit slowly, but about five tracks in it was really hitting its stride. The Box was especially good. And what was that new track (I think they played it after The Unsteady Waltz)?

I think some people here are perhaps being a bit harsh, but I thought the gig was excellent and am really pleased to see Paul taking a new direction with his music. Can't wait to hear what's coming next!
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

The unreleased track is a vocal reworked version of "The Duel". THe original is one of my fave PH tracks but is quite different to the one they played that night.
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

its actually the deal!
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

lol. whoops. my bad :)