Paul @ the Big Chill

General Discussion for PaulHartnoll.com

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

Loopz
Site Admin
Question: Orbital

Paul @ the Big Chill

Post by Loopz »

Can you post any reviews from the Big Chill in here please?

p.s. i thought it was great :)
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

Really enjoyed it, I think it worked a lot better live than on CD to be honest. Did seem a bit short and left the crowd yelling for more. Was great to see Paul come out from behind his keyboard and play bass too!

And I won't post any spoilers but the 'special' bits were very special!

rich
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
madlittleme
Novice

Post by madlittleme »

It made the Big Chill for me (which by the way I fort was very average) - Paul looked really well. Loved the performance, has left me wanting more now - luckily not long to wait for September. Only down side is that I still don't like "Nothing Else Matters" but it is one that gets stuck in your head! Didn't help with Loopz humming it back to the car :P All in all, well impressed and the "surprises" made my night :applause
life is too good to waste it - so don't :)!!!
Karnorjax
Oolaa

Post by Karnorjax »

i hear the suprises were fab..

now I love "nothing else matters"
Is there anyone there ??????? IS THERE ANYONE THERE !!!!!
Dog
Detached
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Dog »

Very impressed indeed. Was a little disappointed it was SO short and that he didn't play the album in it's entirety, but still loved it... I did think that the primary vocalist looked miserable, like she didn't want to be there and that she had the stage presence of a wet haddock. She turned her back to the audience for the entire performance during one track... Granted, she did have a nice voice but it wouldn't kill her to smile and at least try and look like playing to a huge crowd like that was fun...

The surprises? Wow!!!!!!
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Which vocalist was it ? Either way its a bit harsh Dog. If it was Lianne Hall then i dont recall her turning her back for one whole track? Kurt Cobain used to be a bit reserved when it came to smiling etc....
madlittleme
Novice

Post by madlittleme »

To be honest I put it down to it being nerves with it being first time out and all so perhaps should give her a break, you couldn't really fault her vocals which is the main thing imho. :P
life is too good to waste it - so don't :)!!!
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

yeah she might not be experienced at performing live. i know i'd never want to sing in front of a crowd.... even if i could sing :)
dance your cares away, worries for another day
Shrineboy
Saint

Post by Shrineboy »

Mixed reviews here - http://forum.bigchill.net/index.php?showtopic=668897

Avoid reading if you don't want to know about the "precious things".
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

I wasn't that impressed by the gig tbh.
I agree with Dog that Lianne Hall was very uncharismatic, but she could hold a note and sing in the right key.

I know this was the first "outing" and I wouldn't know where to start in the production and scale of what Paul was trying to pull off, but I thought it came across as very amateurish...

There were moments of bliss in there, but unfortunately the off-key wailing of akayzia parker (I'm assuming that's who it was) will be what a lot of people will remember.
I felt so embarrassed for her, it wasn't her voice that was bad, just the key in which she was singing... maybe a monitor problem??

I wasn't sure about the live drumming either, I was hoping for more "beats" like on the album.
The "special" parts were special and were the highlights for me.
Dust motes suffered severely from a lack of timing where for at least a minute all the individual instruments were not cohesive, that led to just a weird swirly mish mash of noises until fortunately they regained the tempo... This seemed to stem from a click track (or something like it) which was obviously running at a faster tempo than what the song started on.

I know this is incredibly critical and harsh as this was essentially the "debut", but all the same it is my opinion.
I still rate the album as one of the best I have heard this year, and I do believe that with more practice, the problems that occurred at the Chill can be ironed out before the September gigs.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Weird - "Dust Motes" was my 2nd favourite track they played. I do lilke the original a hell of a lot though. "Havent we met before" was the best for me. Sounded great.

Akayzia Parker did seem to be struggling but its my least favourite track on the album as well.

The drummer (Keiron Pepper of The Prodigy) i thought did brilliant on the first surprise track.

I'm not surprised by the mixed reactions from the Big Chill thread. It certainly wasnt going to appeal to a lot of people especially the old skool Orbital fans. I think i heard someone shout Impact in the crowd :)
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Haven't we met before was indeed great. I saw it from "The Real Sausage" stall (mmm) near the back of the field. In that respect I was fairly detached from the gig. I was surprised at how empty the field looked and I think Paul should have played after Hexstatic on Saturday. I am probably saying this as the main stage was fairly rammed for that and I did think that the emptiness of the field led to a lack of atmosphere. I caught a bit of the Abrihim guy on before Paul and I think the length of that set and the content drove away a lot of people...

Kieron Pepper did do a grand job, but the production of the kick drums on the album are so lush and full bodied, I thought it detracted from the climactic moments on stage. I just like the quantized and gated effects of a programmed drum loop. 8)

I am sure that the acoustic superiority of the venues chosen in London and Manchester will add a significant layer of intensity to the gigs that imo was desperately missing from the Chill.

And i demand to hear "Patchwork Guilt" for next time!!!
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

Loopz wrote:The drummer (Keiron Pepper of The Prodigy)
Anthony Worrall Thompson of Ready Steady Cook, surely??

;-)

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Loopz wrote: I think i heard someone shout Impact in the crowd :)
That was probably Phil! :lol:
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

Nah he was standing behind me and shouted many many things. This was from a far.... :)