Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

the dutch about the ideal condition

Post by Timbob »

you figure out what it means...

naah, i'll translate it for you.

Orbital is no more, But Paul Hartnoll Still is! The man who played an important roll in British electronic music with his older brother Phil, won't be stopped and shows us his first solo album. Then of course it's a matter of "find the difference with the orbital-output" because we are pesky like that.

now: the continuity is still there, in the way of typically stapled beats for instance, but Hartnoll also tries new ways. noticeable is the use of a full orchestra in some of the songs, where the synthesizers even are switched of at some parts.

There always was influence of minimal composers like Steve Reich in Orbital's music, and translated to the orchestral workaround it won't do something enormously shocking. But Hartnoll has e certain melodic flair and film like qualities of older times also play a big part.

It's like fondant for the ears, nice to listen to, but not too much. Less nice are the vocal contributors, of which Robert smith is really toe curling. But all by all: Nice Comeback!
well, they where quite nice. :D. When they don't like something, they usually really tell it.

I do think that the Smith track is great, vocal wise as well as musically.
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
ingejanse

Post by ingejanse »

Another review in Dutch of The Ideal Condition. Have fun with it!
komosa-lab

Post by komosa-lab »

I don't really like the Robert Smith track but I'll never ever play "aggro" again - I don't think I played the whole thing the first time! I find it a really ugly tuneless dirge which is the absolute low point of the album :| . The Whip remix of Please makes the best of a dodgy track and actually sounds more classically Hartnollish! :o
Timbob
Monsters Exist!
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Timbob »

ingejanse wrote:Another review in Dutch of The Ideal Condition. Have fun with it!
pah
too long to translate.

this part is weird tho:
Broer Phil was na de ontbinding van Orbital in de zomer van 2004 snel weer aan de slag gegaan met zijn breakbeatproject Long Range, maar na een veelbelovende start met een release op Hardcore Beats kwam hij niet verder dan de alleen in Japan uitgebrachte langspeler Madness and Me.
for the english speakers here:
it says brother phil quickly started a breakbeatproject in 2004.. yaddiyaddie. promising start....
but after a release at hardcore beats he stalled at an LP 'madness and me' in japan.

well, as far as i know the story will continue. and the album will go to over here etc :D

ah well
not all dutch people know everything eh?
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
Bolly
LC1

Post by Bolly »

I'll never ever play "aggro" again
I love that track! :)