NEW PAUL HARTNOLL TRACK !!

General Discussion for PaulHartnoll.com

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin

user name
Saint

Post by user name »

what's a midi file sound like , i sort of asumed it could be anything as its a format not a style , or i'm i being daft ?
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

I'm glad Paul's doing something very un-Phil-like, very anti-Longrange; the more the variety the better.

I like the general production of the track, and I'm really looking forward to the album. Whether this song is a pointer as to what to expect remains to be seen, remains to be heard...

Reminds me, indeed, of soundtracks. Yet not only film soundtracks (Morricone, Elfman, even Carpenter - Halloween anyone?)... I'm thinking of those classic 60's-70's series, from Prisoner and Star Trek TOS to the very Orbitalesque territory of The Saint and Doctor Who.

I especially like the fact that it doesn't follow strict pop song formulae. The beats are a bit undeveloped, I admit. The latter half of the song brings it all together quite nicely, though.

Now w-h-e-r-e-'s the ALBUM?! :P
It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake
Kvagga
Omen
Question: Orbital

Post by Kvagga »

I personally love the track, partly because I've always loved the kind of movie soundtracks the others already mentioned. Every song this far (this plus the wipeout stuff) has been top notch, so I'm expecting the album to be amazing. :D Agree with the others on the percussion still needing a bit more work bit too, though. Especially at the end and beginning it's kinda weak (in the end it completely drowns under the other instruments).

Oh and Kansler, without reading your message, I immediately thought Halloween too when I heard the plinky plonky melody at the beginning. :)
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

User Name - Dog was referring to the 'standard' type sound you get when you play a midi file on a computer which is loaded with a GM, or General Midi soundset - the drums are often weak and a lot of the sounds pretty tinny...

Rich
shadyboy
Oolaa
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by shadyboy »

Hope it's just a demo - dunno what it is but I have a real problem listening to simulated orchestral sounds as opposed to the real thing.
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
user name
Saint

Post by user name »

do you not think thats the real thing ? i thought it sounded real , or am i being daft again ?
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

I think its top. I thought the orchestra sounds were lovely - sounded bloody real through my stereo! :) I think its much easier to enjoy if you think of it as a soundtrack piece and imagine it with pictures, you know the kind of thing - the camera tracks at speed over the foaming waves and tilts up to find...Manhattan Island! We cut to a helicopter shot over the busy city, the credits read 'Directed by Michael Bay'- AAAAAARRRRGGH! :lol:
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

On repeated listens, the only problem I really have is with the beats at the moment when they are present unaccompanied by other instruments. They don't seem to carry through that well. But when it all goes together, it's oooh-so-niiice! :P
Karnorjax
Oolaa

Post by Karnorjax »

im loving the track.... listened to it loads now an fyi it loads faster on http://www.paulhartnoll.com/ ;-)
Is there anyone there ??????? IS THERE ANYONE THERE !!!!!
Bolly
LC1

Post by Bolly »

I like it... Not amazing, but not crap either. Looking forward to the album, although I am hoping for more stuff along the lines of 'Ignition' and 'Boot Up'.
I reckon Dog's going to be more of a Longrange man myself.
DocShasta

Post by DocShasta »

I like it a lot.. it reminds me a bit of Transient in that it's different from what you're used to hearing from Orbital. Speaking of Transient I often times play it on repeat at the gym... it's perfect!

I can't wait to hear more stuff from Paul. I'm digging the Long Range stuff on myspace as well (especially Untitled 3).
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Have been enjoying this quite a bit. Augurs well for the album.

Interesting that the brothers are going in different directions. One wonders if they are going to meet each other round the back, so to speak?
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Kansler
Sinner

Post by Kansler »

I've always said that some magic could happen on single b-sides, with Phil remixing Paul and vice versa.

I, too, am glad they're trodding different avenues.
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

ENNIO MORRICONE.

I can't claim my £5 because I'm the 4th person on here to mention him.

Bastardos.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

davemacfrombath wrote:
Bastardos.
Is that your impression of Spaghetti Western lingo David "el" Mac?

:roll

But do you like it?
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK