Dr What?

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

davemacfrombath
The Moebius
Question: Orbital

Dr What?

Post by davemacfrombath »

Well. anyone who thinks the new Dr Who is crap needs new eyes and ears. And remember - the North will rise again...
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

I really enjoyed the new Dr :) I was a bit worried that the special effects would be too clean and too modern...but the BBC didnt fail me this time - they still look dodgy. The scripting of the Dr reminded me of Mr Tom Baker which cant be a bad thing. Roll on next week :)
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

thought it was pretty silly, pretty good.
dance your cares away, worries for another day
memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by memly »

Does anybody know whether this is being repeated?
Maybe on BBC3??

Had to go all "cultural" tonight and do "Phantom of the Opera" instead!
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

BBC3 7pm, Easter Day/Sunday, I *think*! :D
Bolly
LC1

Post by Bolly »

Well i thought it was great! Christopher Eccleston was great, he'll make a good doctor. The acting was a bit dodgy and the effects like Steve mentioned, so we have classic who.
I look forward to next week!
rach
Novice

Post by rach »

I really enjoyed it, made me laugh lots too! - Eccleston was excellent :)
is this a piece of your brain?
Karnorjax
Oolaa

Post by Karnorjax »

Was fantastic.... just great fun and well scripted... yeah some spx were a bit dodgy and then overs were amazing... llike the concoiusness and then department store exploding.. wait till you see some of the upcoming episodes...

If you saw Ecclestone on Johnathan Ross on fri nite there was a sneak peak trailer which showed off some amazing stuff.. even Simon Pegg is in an Episode.. huzzah..

and the Spaceship crashing thru big ben... now that looked AMAZING

yeah roll on next week THE END OF THE WORLD !!
Is there anyone there ??????? IS THERE ANYONE THERE !!!!!
BigO

Post by BigO »

Was fantastic. Also use of Halcyon in the opening bit of the BBC3 Dr Who Confidential thing ? :)
Turnipfish

Post by Turnipfish »

I thought it was very funny and pretty well-done. Good scene-setting episode (also the Autons are pretty rub once you've done the shop-window dummy + piece of plastic thing so best to get 'em out of the way early). I liked the chemistry between Ecclestone and Billie and especially the "lots of planets have a north" line.

I watched it round at a friends and they'd been sitting there all day drinking and watching an episode of each Doctor. As I'd been out watching the footie I arrived during Colin Baker and was kind of surprised how UTTERLY AWFUL his and Sylvester McCoy's episodes actually were. The new one was so much better it wasn't funny.

Ecclestone plays the Tom Baker "well, the world's in mortal danger but may as well have a laugh along the way" schtick quite nicely also this costume is a bit shit, isn't it?
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

Through the years, I've only been able to sporadically catch an episode of Doctor Who here and there, as they haven't (to my knowledge) been aired on any Norwegian channels.

Back in the day, though, they used to show it on Super Channel (I believe this channel is dead? Or did they just change their name?), and the episodes they showed there had a doctor with a long scarf.

So, watching this first new episode, I walked in not really knowing much beyond there being a Doctor that travels around in a phone booth.

So, how did I, a Doctor Who dabbler at best, find the first episode of the new series?

Well, I thought it was fantastic. :) I'm not familiar with Eccleston (beyond the You Lot samples), but I thought he was great in the role, and I laughed out loud at some of his lines. The concepts and designs of the series are exceptionally cheesy, of course, but I was prepared for that, and I laughed WITH them, not at them.

All in all, I'm looking forward to catching episode 2 as soon as possible.
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

Eccleston is a class act(or). You should check out Shallow Grave and Jude - both great films. Harder to find are his TV stuff - he was great in Cracker and The Second Coming.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
Bolly
LC1

Post by Bolly »

My eight and five year olds didn't move a muscle for the forty five minutes it was on. They loved it!!! :D
Hexaphim
LC1

Post by Hexaphim »

Oh, I've seen Shallow Grave, just didn't know any of the actors' names except Ewan McGregor back then... thinking back, Eccleston must have played the new roommate, right?
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Well I watched it on BB3 tonight (Cheers Nick) and I really enjoyed it.
Mr Eccleston did a fine job, I almost felt proud when he muttered the words "You lot" in one of the scenes.

Were all the previous Doctors that chirpy in the face of imminent death?

Will definately be tuning in again