Vegetarian

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

usernick
Detached
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by usernick »

Karnorjax wrote:Life long Veggie I can whole heartidly blame it on hippy parents... we had a veg plot just like int he Good Life and my dad was president of the Bath and avon vegitarian society for many years.

Have never had any problems with others eating meat.

All veggies should own a copy of the CRANKS COOK BOOK !! wonderful stuff ! !
Actually sounds like my own parents! :lol:

And, yes, we've had a Crank's Cook book for ages - I *think* I've also been to their restaurant...?
Numbe

Post by Numbe »

I was brought up by hippy parents who tried to get me to eat all vegetarian wholemeal food. It completely turned me off the stuff so up until about a year or so ago I'd have definitely put myself in the 'cannot live without meat' category. The thought of never having a wonderful chunky steak again would send me straight to the butchers.

Since then I started to try and expand my food horizons though and trying all the vege fair at Glastonbury has actually got me eating pulses.

I now think I could do without meat but I do still love the taste of a good fry up.
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

Karnorjax wrote: All veggies should own a copy of the CRANKS COOK BOOK !! wonderful stuff ! !
Some of us others have it as well, even if it was by mistake. :P
This was bought for me by my sister, under the illusion that my then girlfriend (now wife) had converted me. I have cooked many a veggie meal for my wife and her mates from this, the nut roast being a particular fave, it being something I will eat too.

A gripe raises it head though, on a side issue.

On the few occasions in the year that myself and the distaff side go out for a meal, we find it very difficult to find a restaurant to suit both of us, the traditional eateries not having that many decent veggie dishes, and the veggie restaurants having nothing at all for the commited carnivore like myself. Thus, we end up going to the local Indian on a regular basis. More eateries that cater vittles to both would be nice.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
D-Machine

Post by D-Machine »

I'm vegetarian and I'm allergic to Quorn! :shock:

How f**ked up is that? I've ended up in hospital after eating the stuff. My friends think that's funny. :cry:
You'll find me by the speakers.
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

meh you're not missing much, quorn is rubbish.
dance your cares away, worries for another day
jessopjessopjessop
LC1

VEGGIE

Post by jessopjessopjessop »

I'm vegetarian too. I stopped eating meat about 4 years ago, largely because of living with my ex-girlfriend.

It started as a convenience thing, then she used to make me feel guilty about still eating meat. That's awful I know, but since we split up I've stuck with it. Now I couldn't imagine starting to eat meat again.

I eat meat substitutes from time to time - like quorn - but mostly to increase my protein intake and to add non-vegetable products into meals for flavour and texture reasons.
tcb2000 wrote:We also eat fish, for the protein and supposedly good-for-you Omega oils.
Sorry to be anal, but you are not vegetarian if you eat fish! Why people classify fish as something other than a flesh-based animal is beyond me. Technically, if you eat no other meat, you could call yourself a 'pescatarian'. You can get protein from other sources which are much better than fish, and take non-animal derived omega oils such as Flax oil.
Fact x Importance = News
legspin
Open Mind

Re: VEGGIE

Post by legspin »

jessopjessopjessop wrote: Flax oil.
This is also known as linseed oil, ie. the softener for putty.
I wonder how much more they charge for it down the health food shop than the DIY store. :P
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Emmet
Saint

Post by Emmet »

been veggie for about 7/8 years.

Fridays is always a special tea, this weeks its with Cauldron Foods Lincolnshire Sausages.....hmmmm :wink:
tcb2000
Adnan

Post by tcb2000 »

Sorry to be anal, but you are not vegetarian if you eat fish!
Oh no, the Vegetarian Society will reject us as members! :P

Come on! I vacuum the floors with a Hoover (actually a Dyson), I write with a Biro (usually a Bic!)! I don't eat meat, I'm a vegetarian. I'm buggered if I'm going to describe myself as a pescetarian. I happen to like fish, it's relatively healthy to eat and I'm not really into substitutes to simulate meat (Quorn/Tofu/Soya).

So I'm a vegetarian who eats fish.

Rich
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

HOLY SHIT THAT LOOKS GOOD :shock: :shock:

Well I would certainly miss meat if I gave it up.... I have a vegetarian based meal probably once or twice a week, but I know I couldn't knock meat on the head entirely.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

i like good vegetarian meals. i probably don't know enough cookery to keep myself interested with veggie stuff tho... and a lot of the time i don't have the energy or motivation to cook "properly".

has anyone noticed with meals from certain indian restaraunt/takeaways or other similar genres that you often have a choice between meat in whatever sauce or vegetables in whatever sauce, and there's often not much choice including meat -and- vegetables? :?
dance your cares away, worries for another day
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

To be honest I am a meat eater and have never gave any substantial thought to the benefit of switching to a full vegetarian diet - interesting point that we as a species are not inherently "set-up" to be meat eaters.

I have to agree with the assumption that my body's own genetic make-up has adapted to fit in with eating meat as I tend to find vegetables with a dinner less preferable to the actual meat but do enjoy a salad of even vegetables on their own.
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

I tend not to make a big deal not iking meat because you either get a vegetarian saying you aint a "proper" vegetarian or you get a meat eater saying "you should eat meat". There is always someone else who thinks you should do what they do :P

you like meat - i dont. Get over it :)
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

Totally agree Steve - each to their own mate. :)
Orbitalhound

Post by Orbitalhound »

Yes true, to each his own. I just was wondering who liked Vegetarian lifestyles on this forum to see where else their interests intersected with mine apart from Orbital.
-Sam Clark