Doctor Who inspired comedy, with numerous Orbital references

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Wickerman
Novice
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Doctor Who inspired comedy, with numerous Orbital references

Post by Wickerman »

This might be of interest to some people on here:

http://www.peteandjeff.blogspot.com/ - a Doctor Who inspired blog featuring several Orbital references...

'Welcome to the fictional blog of Pete and Jeff (or, as they prefer, Omega and Rassilon), two thirty-somethings sharing a flat, united by their social detachment and love of Doctor Who. Out of pocket, out of luck, and clinging to the hope that life begins at forty...'

Jeff: Sunday 27th June

I went along to Orbital with some of my new best friends, who told me they were called Woody, Buzz and Mr. Potato Head. I suspected these names weren't on their birth-certificates. Buzz became less lucid as the night went on, grabbing my arm at regular intervals and screaming 'I have seen the great cobbley' right into my ear, and by the time they played Satan, he seemed to be communing with the great beyond. I didn't think I'd ever seen anyone go without blinking for so long. I wondered if he knew Mad Frankie. When I asked, he told me he WAS Mad Frankie. I thought it wise not to push the matter any further. Instead, I turned my attention to a little girl who looked remarkably like little Amy (or maybe it was just the MEGAPILLL! I bought from the legal highs stall). She tugged at my sleeve, complaining that she couldn't see. Swept up in the euphoria of the moment, I allowed her older sister to lift her onto my shoulders and we danced to Halcyon.
I couldn't believe it, it was the 90s! I'd actually gone back in time! And I hadn't even needed the Doctor. Maybe I was the Doctor....
But it was all over too quickly, they only played the 8 minute version of The Box – not the half hour one from the EP – and everyone seemed to be leaving. Reality was beckoning. But I wasn't ready to leave yet!
“I don't want to go...” I found myself muttering. And then, through the dry ice, a lone figure appeared on the stage. He definitely wasn't in the band. He had hair, for a start. Maybe it was all over, maybe he was a roadie come to pack everything away. But then...
“Helllooooo Glastonbury!”
Hang on. I knew that voice... No! It couldn't be....
“Let me hear you cheer!”
Matt Smith! MATT FUCKING SMITH!!!!

http://www.peteandjeff.blogspot.com
Wickerman
Novice
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: Doctor Who inspired comedy, with numerous Orbital references

Post by Wickerman »

Hello again,

This seems to have had quite a lot of views, so some people might be interested to know that the book version is soon upon us. New excerpts can be viewed online http://www.peteandjeff.blogspot.com, and there's a pre-order campaign - to help fund the book - at: Hirst Books: Life Begins at 40.

Synopsis:

'Life Begins at 40', by Chris Newton and Mark Charlesworth, is the story of two thirty-something Doctor Who fanatics sharing a flat in Blackpool, out of pocket, out of luck and clinging to the hope that Life Begins at 40...

Jeff is a barman, constantly forestalling marriage to his neurotic new-age girlfriend, preferring the company of Pete, an agoraphobic misfit with some serious baggage. United by their social detachment and love of Doctor Who, their world view is tainted by too much cult TV, and the walls between reality and fantasy begin to blur, with hilariously disastrous consequences.

With middle-age fast approaching, can they really spend the rest of their lives hiding behind the sofa?

'Life Begins at 40' deals with the big questions. Should we get married? Are children a good idea? And, in the future, will we all be walking around with one eye and no arms from too much teleporting?