What Happens Next?

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

shadyboy
Oolaa
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

What Happens Next?

Post by shadyboy »

So......the tour has come & gone, and from what I've seen & read the boys enjoyed it as much as we all did - indeed I think they have genuinely been surprised & touched by how posititve the reaction has been to their reunion!

I know that they have stated that there is no real agenda to what happens next, but I'm sure we are all gagging to know what their future plans will be, either together or on their seperate projects (especially the new tracks that they are going to be working on 8) )

Any chances of an update or interview on the website P&P please???? :lol:
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
memly
Meltdown

Re: What Happens Next?

Post by memly »

I second that.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
chime
Saint

Post by chime »

Thirded!!

:-)
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

It's been a long time since i interviewed them. I did consider arranging one for Brixton but it was too hectic for me in the end. Maybe i can tie something in for the Freeze festival if i head down there. Would be better as a video interview maybe. We shall see...
Kagey
Geography group B

Post by Kagey »

quadrupled

I was overjoyed at The Big Chill
They astounded me in Birmingham
Blew all expectations in Manchester
Then topped the lot in Brixton

So much work and effort and managing to truly excel
certainly would be a waste not to utilise this return to form

now if they could just let me know where I need to be on New Years Eve I'd be quite grateful
http://www.clockworkdisco.com

"Let's face it, "digital sound" is a misnomer...

Unless you plug the wires directly into your skull, at the end of the chain is a set of speakers pumping back-and-forth turning ANY signal into analogue waves..."
Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

fifthed?? :)

simply /signed! :)
Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

Loopz wrote:It's been a long time since i interviewed them. I did consider arranging one for Brixton but it was too hectic for me in the end. Maybe i can tie something in for the Freeze festival if i head down there. Would be better as a video interview maybe. We shall see...
it should be nice, if you let us write down some questions for them and those which will be best you could ask the boys :)
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

Ally Pally was quite good as I recall....

I think most are agreed that the boyz are even better live now than they were before, with a better balanced set.

It would be great if they could work on a few more live tracks just so they can mix it up a bit more - let's face it, they have shitloads of material to choose from.

The only slight disappointment is Phil's new facial hair - how the fuck can you hero worship someone who reminds you of Derek Smalls?! I blame that Miss U one...
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

davemacfrombath wrote:Ally Pally was quite good as I recall....

I think most are agreed that the boyz are even better live now than they were before, with a better balanced set.

It would be great if they could work on a few more live tracks just so they can mix it up a bit more - let's face it, they have shitloads of material to choose from.

The only slight disappointment is Phil's new facial hair - how the fuck can you hero worship someone who reminds you of Derek Smalls?! I blame that Miss U one...
Don't you diss facial hair my friend. World domination has been more closely realised by us with chin-and-lip insulation than you clean shaven types. Indeed, the last proper hairless wonder was Julius Caesar. Sure even Kelv has been getting in on the act recently... Okay, that may not be the best arguement ever put forward but you see where I'm going.

On the future thing, it really doesn't matter what they do so long as the standard they have set recently can be matched. I would suggest that touring should be sporadic and concentrated at the very least and that if no new stuff is to be written then the sets should at least be changed to keep them fresh. I would personally love if they did more live collaborations with other musicians, particularly classical types as I have always found that the music lends itself to that sort of translation.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
JIMBO
Saint

Post by JIMBO »

[quote="Loopz"]It's been a long time since i interviewed them. I did consider arranging one for Brixton but it was too hectic for me in the end. Maybe i can tie something in for the Freeze festival if i head down there. Would be better as a video interview maybe. We shall see...[/quote]

If you need a camera and sound person to do that for free, consider me booked... :wink:

Oh, and as I'm rockin the facial funiture too, I have to applaud Phils gay biker look!
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

davemacfrombath wrote:
The only slight disappointment is Phil's new facial hair - how the fuck can you hero worship someone who reminds you of Derek Smalls?!

Now thats funny!
MEMS MUZAK
teutonic

Post by teutonic »

I, and my wrongsideof30 massive really enjoyed the Manchester gig (Saturday), we had a terrific night (but how i suffered for it the following week ... )

I was genuinely impressed with what they'd done with the updates to their back catalogue / set, because it could have been all too easy to roll out something approximating what they were doing in 93 / 94, purely for the nostalgia trip. (not that I ever really believed / worried that's what they would do anyway!!)

I thought the slow teasing build up was clever (Out there somewhere Pt 1 / The Moebius / Out there somewhere Pt 2 - then whoosh into the 'brown album' stuff)

Lush, Satan and Chime all sounded as good as they ever have.

I think they'll only do new music if they get together and have some genuine inspiration; i'm certain that if they get into the studio and it's all like the weaker bits from the Blue Album (of which there were many), they'll quite rightly just walk away. i actually can't see there being a new album.

Also, one of the problems with doing more music is that there's not enough money in new music now, unless you're Coldplay. The money is in performances.

I think the tour proves that for 'special occasions', there's a market for their live performances. However, what we don't want is them becoming our version of Hawkwind, or Wishbone Ash - trudging away at gigging, doing smaller and smaller venues, until before you know it they're doing the back room of a community centre in Leamington Spa, and playing under the first tarpaulin on sticks from the car park at the Big Chill at 12.32 on Sunday morning.

However, if they can keep it special - whether that's bi-annual tours, special venues / events, festival appearances that are the right festival appearances

I'm there!
Ah, Sure Thing, Mr Tracy!
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

7th December - Long Range release Control Me EP
Have put press release in the Long Range section.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

So.... are we gonna get a new set for a new years worth of Orbital gigs??

I think its more likely now that some new material will surface from the Hartnolls.
All that time they spend rehearsing their gigs, they could easily pop out a few eps.
Actually I expect new material when I see them at Guilfest...

I can see it now:

Orbital: The 'About fuckin' Time' EP.

I'd buy it.
MEMS MUZAK
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

Nice interview with Paul here - http://djmag.com/news/detail/2026

Touches upon where they are at right now.....

Get some bloody tracks on here to buy!!!!