3rd member of Orbital?

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

3rd member of Orbital?

Post by memly »

Great gig at Brixton folks! Shame I couldnt make the meetup (again!) but we walked through the venue doors just as the house lights were dimming.
What a fantastic 2 hours (again)...
The crowd were genuinely up for it, which reminded me of how stale a lot of the crowd seemed at the 2004 Brixton gig; no such problem here, every tune seemed to set the crowd alight and I literally couldnt hear the begining of DR? because of the screams and joyous whoops coming from what seemed like every person in the room!

It seemed a heavier sound this time, I dont know whether thats to do with the venues PA, but it was really banging and it really hit all the right places.
I did note however, some guy seemed to be onstage for quite a while who was clearly not a paid up member of Orbital, could this have been the elusive "Pete" Hartnoll we have heard of through out the years?
He did only have one light coming out of his face, so I suspect he is the runt of the litter that the brothers probably keep behind closed doors until he is needed to rectify the all the synth presets once Paul has used them and has forgotten which one goes next.... can this be confirmed? :roll:

Anyway it certainly made up for my no-show in Manchester the weekend before, and I must admit it has been the prospect of seeing my favourite musical geniuses re-unite and play live again that has made this year really special for me, which does lead me on to wander 'what next'...

I'm sure we all hope this collaboration continues and maybe one day we might see a new Orbital Album hit the shelves in our local Record Shops...er actually... who am I kidding, I meant to say available for download on Itunes.
Even if this doesnt happen, I will definately support whatever Phil and Paul decide to do, just because their track records so far have been exemplorary.... Apart from "Shadows","Quality Seconds" and "Acid Pants". 8)
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
legspin
Open Mind

Re: 3rd member of Orbital?

Post by legspin »

His name escapes me at the mo' but he is their backline techie.

On the PA bit, that was a touring PA that they had in Brixton and the other small venues and set up for the band. The Big Chill, being a festival, has to accomodate all the acts on a stage and thus would pick a PA that is a jack-of-all-trades. Also, it is much easier to get the bottom end to thump indoors as the walls and floor will amplify the sound.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

i would LOVE to support them as on downloading new stuff from some e-music shop. and i hope it will come true, that they will write some new stuff to play live next year as was in some interview and they put it for download!!

and as you wrote Mem, the audience was realy nice, and as i dont like huge crowds of people too much dancing and screeming and jumping and throwing their arms up in the air, this time is was so special and i enjoyed it as never before!! :)
Shrineboy
Saint

Post by Shrineboy »

Even though he wasn't with the boys this tour Mickey Mann will always be the "3rd" member.
darkorb
Novice

Post by darkorb »

I keep hearing talk amongst us fans over the release of new Orbital material. If they have spent so much time building up this reunion to something new, with talk and touring, they better back it up with a full length LP. Anything else would feel too gimmicky (online downloads, new live tracks). They should know what we we really want is LP8.

If they do make this a one off, I am satisfied with what they have given us. They have an flawless 7 LP back catalogue.
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Shrineboy wrote:Even though he wasn't with the boys this tour Mickey Mann will always be the "3rd" member.
I didnt realize he was not working with them anymore. I assumed he had taken up his position again.
darkorb wrote:I keep hearing talk amongst us fans over the release of new Orbital material. If they have spent so much time building up this reunion to something new, with talk and touring, they better back it up with a full length LP. Anything else would feel too gimmicky (online downloads, new live tracks). They should know what we we really want is LP8.

If they do make this a one off, I am satisfied with what they have given us. They have an flawless 7 LP back catalogue.
I would be happy with an EP or even lots of remix work. Surely they are getting asked to remix all the current young "playas"...

But ultimately I think they should work towards the "Red" Album; an all new material album that is mainly mixed a la "Brown".
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
mickyboy

Post by mickyboy »

But ultimately I think they should work towards the "Red" Album; an all new material album that is mainly mixed a la "Brown".
have to agree with you there Memly. The Brown album still ranks as my favourite Orbital album, with each of the tracks just blending so well into each other. Insides ain't too far behind however, and finally after years of neglect from me, I'm really digging the Middle of Nowhere, helped in no small way, by hearing "Know where to Run" live at the start of the current tour in Brighton.Its been the album I've been listening to most since then .Also have to agree that the current setlist is pretty near to perfection. :D
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

mickyboy wrote:I'm really digging the Middle of Nowhere, helped in no small way, by hearing "Know where to Run" live at the start of the current tour in Brighton.Its been the album I've been listening to most since then .Also have to agree that the current setlist is pretty near to perfection. :D
I've always loved The Middle of Nowhere - a much under-rated album IMO.
"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in your beliefs, and prove to me I am not mistaken in mine."
And they DID come back. Ha!