Orbital @Big Chill - A Triumph!

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Re: Orbital @Big Chill - A Triumph!

Post by memly »

What would you have chosen for a finale then Leggy?

The thing is with Dr? imo is that it ends too abrubtly but then I cant remember a gig prior to this tour when they didnt finish with Chime, and when it was the final tune, it was milked and milked and P&P let us down gently, especially when they brought in that sample (is it Joey Beltram??), that always signified that the gig was slowly coming to a halt, and then one last blast of franticness and it was over...

But saying that I approve of Dr? being the new set finisher.

I had no qualms at all about the set, I loved every minute of it, not a wasted second imo. Its got so much better in the few months that they have been playing.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

memly wrote:What would you have chosen for a finale then Leggy?

The thing is with Dr? imo is that it ends too abrubtly but then I cant remember a gig prior to this tour when they didnt finish with Chime, and when it was the final tune, it was milked and milked and P&P let us down gently, especially when they brought in that sample (is it Joey Beltram??), that always signified that the gig was slowly coming to a halt, and then one last blast of franticness and it was over...

But saying that I approve of Dr? being the new set finisher.

I had no qualms at all about the set, I loved every minute of it, not a wasted second imo. Its got so much better in the few months that they have been playing.
The million quid question...
We're back in the realms of Fantasy Set List territory here again.
I thought about Satan but that segue into Belfast was one of the most sublime things I have ever heard (thanks Badger for teasing me with that, it was well worth the wait).
I don't think I will ever be able to explain what I felt (and still do tbh) but it just didn't feel quite right. It wasn't that ? is a bad choice in general but just the night in question ... maybe coz I didn't want it to end at all but I just knew when ? started it was nearly over and that soon I would be bereft when all I wanted was MORE ... I just can't explain it. Perhaps no matter what they finished with I would be feeling like this.
I'll shut up at this point before I make a bigger fool of myself.
Last edited by legspin on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

I must say that I wholeheartedly approve of Dr ? as the closer, though that wasn't the case at Brighton. Perhaps one for the 'neutrals' in the festival crowd?

Also, the increased use of segues between songs is brilliant - see other thread about the gaps between songs at Chemical Brothers' gigs.

Really looking forward to Manchester now - a pre-Brixton warm-up, obv....
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
LusciousLucy

Post by LusciousLucy »

Hey there folks

Apparently there were people wondering where I was...or why I wasnt at this monumental event...easy answer. Did not have £200-300 to spare to make it over to Herefordshire. Ronnie/Dave visited me yesterday on his 40th bday and we watched the vids from BC...but I can safely say I DO have enough money to attend this Sunday's offerings at Get Loaded. Yes I know it probably isnt going to touch BC but its another notch on the Orbital bedpost and I am looking forward to it. The tweaks to the set sound ace since Brighton, still a bit peeved the set isnt more varied (tunes over the ages wise) and from what I have been told is exactly what we got in Brighton but hey you cant have everything can you? Gonna be ace and I am sticking in new batteries for me glasses!

Anyone know of a spare ticket for Friday at Brixton please??? :D
donkey rhubarb

Post by donkey rhubarb »

Wow, what a summer this has been... The best since............well, 2004

Like all, had been eagerly awaiting this since the announcement last year and, so unusually for something you look forward to for so long. What a setting! From the moment I arrived on the Thursday I just knew this was gonna be something special and it was. Was there with two Orbital virgins (who I can now safley say are converts) and my sis who is a veteran of so many gigs from the past.

Haven't posted on here hardly at all since the old days but couldn't resist a sneaky look at the setlists on dull day at work back in June which I slightly regret but nevertheless what a set it was and s many new twists and turns in there in didn't really matter anyway. My first gig was 10 years ago (so wish it would it have been sooner) and have always looked back on that date with as a bit of a seminal moment for me and this one just did it all over again.

A night that will stay in my memory forever. Thanks so much to P&P for doing this and lifting our spirits.
'time is like a freeway with an infinite number of lanes'

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/room3