Brighton set list SPOILER

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

mickyboy
Question: Orbital

Brighton set list SPOILER

Post by mickyboy »

Went to Brighton gig last week, and was blown away by seeing my favourite ever band(?) live again. The sound system and bass sent shivers through my whole body, and regardless of what one previous posting mentioned about the crowd being lukewarm, I didn't pick up on that at all. The gig in its intimacy reminded me of seeing them in similar size venues at megadog at the rocket years ago, and the set list was well chosen to reflect so many of Orbitals top tunes. Saying that they could easily have extended it by another couple of hours IMHO !

Loved the reworking of some of the tunes , especially the Belinda Carlise sample on halycon, but am puzzled by a couple of songs on the setlist. After Chime and Chime Crime, there was another song from the green album played I think, which I think might have been Oolah or Speed Freak. I also did not recognise one tune at all, which was the last song played before the encore.

The encore I think was Dwr Budr and not a reworking of Remind which another poster had suggested. Can any kind soul PM me the setlist to either confirm or correct my suspicions please ?

All in all an amazing comeback. I hadn't seen them live since 2001, Am so looking forward to seeing them at Brixton on the Friday night in September. I also bought family tickets for the Big Chill as soon as they came out, but I can't go because my wife is due to give birth on the very day Orbital are playing. Despite my best efforts to persuade her to come, she's not having any of it !
Loopz
Site Admin

Re: Brighton set list SPOILER

Post by Loopz »

Lush 3
Lush (Euro Tunnel Disaster 94 mix)
Impact
Remind
Satan
Belfast
Chime
Crime
Know Where to Run
Halcyon
One Perfect Sunrise
The Box
Doctor ?

Out There Somewhere Part1
Out There Somewhere Part2

I did hear The Moebius sample being used in Out There Somewhere as well...

Brighton = a very cool night :)
mickyboy

Post by mickyboy »

thanks for the setlist. Seems I was quite off the mark !

Loved the reworkings of some of the songs .
Badger
Doctor Look Out
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by Badger »

Loopz; you missed out:

Belfast after Satan

Know Where To Run after Chime Crime

and

One Perfect Sunrise after Halcyon

That tune that mickeyboy didn't recognise at the end was the new version of Doctor? i presume.

Also it was more than just a sample of "The Moebius" in Out There Somewhere...it was more of a mash up of Out There Somewhere part 1 and The Moebius' end beats before Out There Somewhere Part 2 came in. Hope this stays in for The Big Chill...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?????????????????

:? :wink:
Last edited by Badger on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

my bad. i've corrected.

I have my doubts you will hear OTS at Big Chill. It's a festival set so will be reduced a lot...

p.s. Crime :p
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

I wouldn't call that a version of Doctor ? at the end - it was just a shit botch-job of an ending to the set, just the swooshing noises where Doctor ? used to turn into Chime in the old live sets. It came out of nowhere really suddenly at the end of The Box and then stopped just as suddenly. Need to work on that, lads!
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."
mickyboy

Post by mickyboy »

thanks funky doug for helping to clear up one of my questions. Can't say I recognised it as Doctor at all. That's why I was puzzled as to what it was. Didn't mind it myself , but agree it was an odd way to end the set. I actually thought they were road testing a new song.
Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

they played Out There Somewhere? in Brighton??? bah, i hope for it in Brixton then!!!!
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

btw the set list was the same for Leeds as well.
Kyblik
Sinner

Post by Kyblik »

Loopz wrote:btw the set list was the same for Leeds as well.
with Out There Somewhere too??
Badger
Doctor Look Out

Post by Badger »

Yeah it looks like it's the "bonus solo show" track.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.christie.777

"Even a stopped cloak gives the right jacket twice a day"
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

yes, they played Out There Somewhere (both parts) as the encore at Leeds.
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

My advice would be to drop One Perfect Sunrise and put something like Kein Trink Wasser in its place. One Perfect Sunrise simply isn't as good as Orbital seem to think it is - it's like a lame, soulless rip-off of Orbital, and it really sounded cheap next to such a great selection of tunes in the new live set. Kein Trink Wasser's one the fans would love to hear played live again, but which also always catches the attention of people who don't know it. It's the Orbital tune I played to my mum. Otherwise Style, or something like that. Fahrenheit 3D3 or An Fhomhair would be good. :twisted:

But otherwise I thought the set was great. Opening with the best 30 minutes of Orbital tunes was just fantastic. Will make sure I'm well hammered before the start of the set in Brixton so I can have a proper stagger to it! Satan played slower and with the jackin old beats louder (though that may have been because we were near one set of speakers) made it much more funky, and Chime was just spot-on. I really hoped they wouldn't just play it at the end again, so getting it in the middle of the set at a proper speed with the old acid house groove back, new fucked-up bits and then Chime Crime, that was the most I've ever enjoyed Chime. Wicked stuff. I hadn't listened to Know Where To Run in years, but remember it being brilliant by the end of the 1999 tour - looking forward to hearing it again in September. The new Halcyon bit was mega-mega-mega-gay, but we all like a bit of gay every now and then, right? And the Box was ace - nice and driving and techno-techno. Ditch the 30-second Doctor/Chime swooshing racket at the end though - that was horrible. Out There Somewhere was a brilliant encore. I just wish I'd been at a festival so I could have lay on the floor!

Oh yeah, was also good to have the set flow together a bit more. Never liked there being a gap between every tune and tons of "Thank you!"s over the speaker. Ruined live shows for me, that did. Far better when it flows together as one big glob of awesome music and we get thanked at the end!
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."
Acid Gaz
Sinner

Post by Acid Gaz »

I thought Brighton was a superb gig.

Highlights for me were Halcyon and Chime/Chime Crime.

I agree with Funky re OPS - I've always thought of it as an attempt to reproduce old glories as it were.

I think P&P should consider making Halcyon the set-closer rather than Dr Who.

Overall I had a fantastic time - the first half of the set in particular completely blew me away (quite literally when the big booms of Lush hit me square in the head!).

Well done to the lads, looking forward to more of he same at Brixton & Get Loaded.
Kinder

Post by Kinder »

Funky Dung wrote:Oh yeah, was also good to have the set flow together a bit more. Never liked there being a gap between every tune and tons of "Thank you!"s over the speaker. Ruined live shows for me, that did. Far better when it flows together as one big glob of awesome music and we get thanked at the end!
I second that, made a nice change :D bring on Brixton! (by the way, do you think there's a chance of an extended set at their final gig?)