Something to ponder

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Hexaphim
LC1

Something to ponder

Post by Hexaphim »

I regularly read and post on a forum for the fans of my football team, Lillestrøm SK. One of the most active and consistently entertaining posters was "TurboJenta", who was and had been active in several other football forums and internet societies for over three years. Several of the forum members spoke with her regularly on the phone and through MSN messenger.

A few months ago, one of these friends of hers posted horrible news on the forums: TurboJenta had been hit by a car in Manchester, and was in critical condition. The forum community came together and wished her all the best, and through irregular bulletins we got updates on how she was doing. She started doing better, but was still too injured to be moved from the hospital in Manchester. The support team went to Lillestrøm's manager (Jan Åge Fjørtoft of Swindon and Barnsley "fame"), and told him about the situation. He provided a team jersey signed by every member of the team to give TurboJenta, as the doctors had to cut off her Lillestrøm jersey when she was brought into intensive care.

Weeks went by, and it looked like she was getting better, but suddenly her condition worsened, and we got the horrible message: TurboJenta's heart hadn't been able to take the strain, her organs started shutting down, and she died.

The community again came together with sorrow, because we all felt like we knew her through the forums, and especially this thread. On our next match (last Sunday), we had a banner that said "Tonight we sing for you, Maya" (Maya being her real name). We won the game 4-0, and we said we won it for her.

But see, here's the thing: Yesterday, after a lot of detective work from moderators of our forums and other forums she frequented, we find out that there never WAS a TurboJenta. It was all fake. She never existed. Neither did her abusive ex-husband, her young daughter or her close friend, all of whom had posted on the forums. They were all the product of one person who had created several identities for herself that she had maintained for well over THREE YEARS, and many people had grown especially close to the TurboJenta persona, whom they'd shared intimate details of their lives with and spoken to on the phone and on Messenger for hours and hours.

I never saw any reason to doubt that TurboJenta was real. I was heartbroken when she "died", despite not having really known her. To some people, apparently, this story is amusing (I didn't know this until the story was posted on one of the major news sites in Norway and people that support other teams started posting about how hilarious this is, and how stupid we were).

Me, I feel I've learned a thing or two about trust and the internet. Hopefully, I won't ever be as naive as this again.
The Hex

Some people don't get the Transformers. It's simple. They're big robots. And they change into things. And they fight. This is beautiful and mad. If you do not get this, there is something missing in your soul. - Paul O'Brien
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

i'm sorry you (and others) were screwed around like that. some people suck :arrow:
dance your cares away, worries for another day
niksa

Post by niksa »

:applause
Well said, Hex.

It's hard to believe people can be that cruel. Well, actually, it's not really all that hard to believe. People can be disgustingly cruel. I'm sorry that you had to deal with this though, because you will have to second-guess it now whenever you hear about something similar.
memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by memly »

That is just so wrong.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
stargurl
Geography group B

Post by stargurl »

That's... shockingly horrible.

I've been participating in online communities for 16 years now, and thankfully, I can't say that I've ever had a bad experience when meeting somebody that I met online. I can't even imagine why somebody would want to spend years developing a fake online persona and backstory.
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

*goes VERY quiet**
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

I'm just a figment of my imagination...

It's true though, unless you actually meet the person behind the ID, you have no way of knowing if they're real or just someone's idea of a joke...
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
Dollydagger
Open Mind

Post by Dollydagger »

How absolutely bizarre. The woman must have no life if she has to make up fake persona's on the internet.
I guess you never really can tell unless you've actually met up with people, which on this forum a lot of us have - so I KNOW YOU ARE REAL Dave Mac From Bath!!! :P
I don't use Myspace anymore, you'll find me on Facebook ;-b
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

If only he was someone else... :wink:
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Willsy
The Moebius

Post by Willsy »

Memly is really a 7 year old girl.
"You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really"
Nigel Tufnel talking about his song "Lick My Love Pump" - This Is Spinal Tap.

http://www.myspace.com/willsydesignuk
Pooka
Adnan

Post by Pooka »

I still think thats a pretty rotten thing to do.
Why invest so much of your life into doing that? That person most be so sad and lonely to do that.
And to pretend that they "died" is rather crass.
I speak to people through another forum on the internet, and I take them as I find them even though they could be complete nutters.
I've met enough people on here, and a few I know very well so I know they arent fake.
You look real great.
In bloodstains.
Funky Dung
Adnan

Post by Funky Dung »

Dog wrote:It's true though, unless you actually meet the person behind the ID, you have no way of knowing if they're real or just someone's idea of a joke...
I've met you and you really are someone's idea of a joke. :P
"People say that alcohol's a drug. It's not a drug, it's a drink."
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

Funky Dung wrote:
Dog wrote:It's true though, unless you actually meet the person behind the ID, you have no way of knowing if they're real or just someone's idea of a joke...
I've met you and you really are someone's idea of a joke. :P
I blame God...
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

I was (still am) friends with a girl from a dutch forum. some other guy from that forum told me once i had to call his number because something bad happend to her.

I was shocked so i called.
turned out he gave me a number of some prank phone.

some people just think that as long as it's internet you don't have to show emotions or something.
It makes it easier to mess with peoples head. but just because it's easier it isn't less wrong.

that about covers it.
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
the PLA
Sinner

Post by the PLA »

It's all a hoax!

:P Can't believe no else said it.
OUT