What's with all the spamming lately?

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

DaWeeze
Saint

What's with all the spamming lately?

Post by DaWeeze »

And can anything be done about it? :?
the PLA
Sinner
Question: Orbital

Post by the PLA »

I deleted everything I was able to. I'm sure loopz will get the rest & ban him. As for what can be done to stop it, I don't think much more than what's already set up here to prevent it. When there's a real person actually entering each message it's very hard to stop.

What I don't get is why they do it. Would you ever buy anything from some spamming f*ck like that? I wouldn't, I won't ever buy ANYTHING from ANYONE who uses bullsh!t advertising like that! It just seems like an enormous waste of time.

I think the only way well put an end to crap like that (or at least cut it way back) is if people everywhere make it plain that we won't stand for it. If we all make it obvious that we'll never give money to anyone that uses advertising like that (forum spam, email spam, telemarketers, unsolicited mailing & the like) maybe companies will see that their marketing monies & efforts are better spent elsewhere.
OUT
OF
STEP
shadyboy
Oolaa
antispam: No
Anti Spam: Orbital

Post by shadyboy »

Shower of pr**ks...
Get them to f**k.
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
TheEmbryo
Novice

Post by TheEmbryo »

Here are various phpBB mods you can use:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=427852

I've had excellent results with the "myVIPcode" mod - it adds a "VIP code" to the registration page which users have to enter to be able to register on the board. You can put this code somewhere obvious on the Loopz site (and have the registration page say where to look).

Real users will be able to register, spambots won't understand at all, and human spammers won't usually bother with the extra fuss.

I was getting quite a lot of spam on my forums and now I don't get any.
madlittleme
Novice

Post by madlittleme »

These tw*ts should really get lives - this must be about the 5th time since early hours that they have posted the same crap - message to the spammers - NOT INTERESTED SO :Finger
life is too good to waste it - so don't :)!!!
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

I totally agree... wankers.

And just to prove your hatred of these bastards, log your disapproval on

[url]http://brittneyspearslickslohanspussyandyoudonthavetodownloadavirusriddenpieceofsoftwaretoseeitohno.com[/url]
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

davemacfrombath wrote:I totally agree... wankers.

And just to prove your hatred of these bastards, log your disapproval on

[url]http://brittneyspearslickslohanspussyandyoudonthavetodownloadavirusriddenpieceofsoftwaretoseeitohno.com[/url]
Tried logging on - site must be down.......what a pisser.... :wink:
Love is wise, hatred is foolish.....
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

TheEmbryo wrote:Here are various phpBB mods you can use:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=427852

I've had excellent results with the "myVIPcode" mod - it adds a "VIP code" to the registration page which users have to enter to be able to register on the board. You can put this code somewhere obvious on the Loopz site (and have the registration page say where to look).

Real users will be able to register, spambots won't understand at all, and human spammers won't usually bother with the extra fuss.

I was getting quite a lot of spam on my forums and now I don't get any.
Yes, indeed, the above works - we've introduced it onto 3 boards (which got about 5 spam registrations every day - not much spammed posting), and we haven't had any spam users since implemented 6 months ago... Well worth the effort in introducing! 8)
Loopz
Site Admin

Post by Loopz »

I've gone with a simple human question in the registration and i have yet to activate a second spam blocker. Its been live for nearly 24 hours...so far so good.

Will be cleaning the database before new year as well.
usernick
Detached

Post by usernick »

Loopz wrote:I've gone with a simple human question in the registration and i have yet to activate a second spam blocker. Its been live for nearly 24 hours...so far so good.

Will be cleaning the database before new year as well.
So, is Loopz3 a test user or a new spam user? :lol: