The Ultimate Festival Poll

The General Discussion forum has been setup to enable any kind of non-music discussions between the visitors of the website.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

Which do you rate as the "Ultimate Festival" experience ?

Glastonbury
53%
Reading/Leeds
11%
Isle of Wight
No votes
Homelands (or whatever its called nowadays)
No votes
Tribal Gathering
5%
Creamfields
No votes
The Glades
No votes
V Festival
No votes
The Big Chill
21%
Other
11%

Total votes: 19

memly
Meltdown
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

The Ultimate Festival Poll

Post by memly »

Lack of Poll "action" around these Parts...

Subject speaks for itself.
After a long hard think, the ultimate festival experience for me is still Glastonbury.

Here's why:

I just love that place. In all the years I've been, its never disappointed me. Even the biblical weather conditions of last year wasnt enough to ruin the weekend.

But the Big Chill is a close second.

The most beautiful location for any festival ever. It still hasnt been spoilt (yet) by its own success.
I am really missing these weekends this year.
I don't know you people...why are you here?
MEMS MUZAK
Acid Gaz
Sinner

Post by Acid Gaz »

No contest really, gotta be Glasto.

Glade has been really good as well, so it would come second in my list.
hippy dave
Meltdown

Post by hippy dave »

thus far i've only been to glasto, v and homelands. definitely intending to try out the glade and the big chill when i can (not this year :( ) but tbh i don't see anything matching glasto as a whole experience.
dance your cares away, worries for another day
davemacfrombath
The Moebius

Post by davemacfrombath »

No competition.

None whatsoever.

Macstocklands.
Slugs! HE created slugs! They can't hear. They can't speak. They can't operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

oi
where are the other festivals, these are all englandisch!
i've only seen creamfields there, so i can't decide.
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Thats why there's an "other" option Mr Schnitzelhose.

Which i have noticed you ignored.

Tell me about the ones I missed out on then :wink:
MEMS MUZAK
Timbob
Monsters Exist!

Post by Timbob »

memly wrote:Thats why there's an "other" option Mr Schnitzelhose.

Which i have noticed you ignored.

Tell me about the ones I missed out on then :wink:
Then again, i can't say another one is better if i haven't had all the ones on the list, now can i :P

Still, The Drum Rhythm Festival always had great line-ups. but they had to stop because Drum couldn't sponser anymore... stupid tabacco law.

The Dutch Dance Valley is a 2 day festival nowadays but i think it lost it's edge.

Sziget always sounded interesting. never been there.
altho i've been in hungaria a few times. planning never works out :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago.
We got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarettes.
It's dark and we are wearing sunglasses
Willsy
The Moebius

Post by Willsy »

Yep Glastonbury has it hands down i think for me....although my only Glastonbury experience was a disasterous one in terms of theiving gits and violence, of the days i spent there previous to this happening it certainly was amazing....

However i do have a massive soft spot for the less commercial big chill and would love to be going again this year...
"You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really"
Nigel Tufnel talking about his song "Lick My Love Pump" - This Is Spinal Tap.

http://www.myspace.com/willsydesignuk
philmanns
Sinner

Post by philmanns »

would love to say glastonbury, although only been twice. first time was great. second time although the weather put a dampener on it, it was spoiled by the sheer greed of the organisers. too many people and shit facilities. its totally lost what it set out to be. has to be the big chill for me, tho sadly i feel in time it will go the same way, numbers increasing each year. maybe another few years then it too will go tits. off to the glade tomorrow night, that should be a corker :D
Kvagga
Omen

Post by Kvagga »

I actually had my first real festival experience (in the sense that there was sleeping in a tent and a bit of traveling involved) just the last weekend. It was a two night happening, called Konemetsä, completely set in a forest in the middle of nowhere here in Finland (I mentioned it briefly in the "What Are You Listening To Right Now"-thread). Great fun I must say. Especially seeing Eat Static play in the woods while the sun went down and then quickly came back up again, was cool as heck. :D

Couple of resized, crappy quality pics from near the mainstage taken with my mobile to give you a sense of the atmosphere:

BTW, sorry for going a bit OT. I didn't answer the poll, since that would be kinda stupid with the experience of only one proper festival. :P
memly
Meltdown

Post by memly »

Sounds a cool spot to have a festival Kvagga. I would like to do a festival in another country soon....

No idea what though.
MEMS MUZAK
stylustrouble
Adnan

Post by stylustrouble »

Would have to say Glasto,just because it's unlike any other festival experience,although the last time I went was in 1995 when you could still buy tickets without it being like some ultra-precision military operation(and when it was guaranteed sunny every year,too).
Dog
Detached

Post by Dog »

It's gotta be The Big Chill for me. It's exactly what a festival should be and right now, it's just about perfect. They'll have to be careful not to let it grow too large, because then it'll become a rural rat-race, they'll be under pressure to get more mainstream acts, they'll have problems with ticket organisation, security, licensing and it'll become another Glastonbury, which has changed SO much from my debut in 1994. Glastonbury is dead.

Creamfields used to be about the music and spending 14 hours dancing your socks off, but now it's just about dodging the scallies and crap organisation, which means that again, theres another festival that I won't be attending again.

The Glade keeps calling me and I think I'll answer it's call next year...
"Gimme the sight to see
another world outside that's full of
all the broken things that I made"
moke

Post by moke »

For me would always have been Glasto, but have just got back from the Exit Festival in Serbia, and I think it might have to be a tie....

Exit was just amazing, set in an old fortress in Novi Sad, city in Serbia straddling the Danube, wicked setting, amazing people, line up this year not the best (I don't think I would have gone to a festival in England/Ireland based on the line up) but still some good stuff. Highlight for me was watching James Zabiela, Southampton dj, play at dawn in the Dance Arena, watching a pissed Goldie chat up the dancers on the stage after his set on the main stage.....

http://www.myexit.org/galerija/displayi ... um=2&pos=3
legspin
Open Mind

Post by legspin »

The Electric Picnic for me.

30,000 punters for three days sounds about right. And if it is even half as good as last year it will be great.
Be Pure, Be Vigilant, BEHAVE.