the future sound of london

The Music Discussion forum has replaced the old Lyrics and Samples forum and the Live Scene and Music Reviews forum. This forum is used to discuss anything relating to Music including Orbital topics, the live scene including Orbital gigs past, present and future. This section is an ideal place to post your live gigs reviews and album / single reviews. This forum can also be used to discuss Orbital lyrics and samples. The website will never disclose or confirm samples for legal reasons - so this is the next best thing.

Moderators: Loopz, usernick, legspin, jof, the PLA

bristol
antispam: No
Question: Orbital
Anti Spam: Orbital

the future sound of london

Post by bristol »

i know they've been around for a while, and i've been meaning to check them out for a while as well.
so i recently bought lifeforms and i like it, but my question is, is this pretty indicative of their sound or is there better stuff to check out? is anyone around her a fan of fsol that could help me out?
purlieu
Novice

Post by purlieu »

There isn't really an album indicative of their style. Accelerator is quite straight up techno, very little ambience, although it's pretty great. Tales of Ephidrina (released as Amorphous Androgynous) is sort of a mix between Lifeforms and Accelerator. ISDN is dark trip-hop with acid jazz and hip-hop elements, plus a few ambient bits. Dead Cities is a big mix of the other albums plus some IDM and dnb bits in. The Isness (released as Amorphous Androgynous in Europe but FSOL in the US) is mostly very different, with strains of psychedelia and prog rock... vocals, guitars, sitars, orchestras, allsorts.
Dead Cities is your best bet for the next album, though, I'd say, as it's generally the most popular alongside Lifeforms.
nacmat
Saint

Post by nacmat »

I got accelerator, lifeforms, lifeforms ep and dead cities

I love those

but I need to get more
architecture is nothing but sex between light and space
purlieu
Novice

Post by purlieu »

My Kingdom EP comes highly recommended.
And the We Have Explosive EP is interesting as it marks a vague point in the direction of their newer stuff.
ffej071
Novice

Post by ffej071 »

I have only heard there wipeout songs, but I want to look into there albums. Where would be a good place to start?
ffej071
Novice

Post by ffej071 »

(double post)
Weakling

Post by Weakling »

ffej071 wrote:I have only heard there wipeout songs, but I want to look into there albums. Where would be a good place to start?
Depends where you're coming from in music terms. But since this is/was an Orbital forum, I will take that as a starting point. If you're into Orbital and like something that sounds a bit new I would say the Dead Cities album. If you don't mind stuff a bit older, definitely the ISDN album. Even older would be Accelerator. In any case steer clear of the Amorphous Androgynous stuff. IMHO of course ...
purlieu
Novice

Post by purlieu »

For an Orbital fan who likes Lifeforms, the first Amorphous Androgynous album (Tales of Ephidrina) would be perfect.
But yeah, the newer psychedelic stuff is a bit of an acquired taste...
bristol

Post by bristol »

good to know - thanks guys
nacmat
Saint

Post by nacmat »

I might check tales of ephidrina
architecture is nothing but sex between light and space
shadyboy
Oolaa

Post by shadyboy »

Tales of Ephidrina is a brilliant album - full of very cheeky samples as well.....